A step by step guide to move your blog from Blogger to WordPress
Most of the blogger initially start their blog with Google blogspot blog as it is a free tool to quickly setup. But after sometime blogger realize that they need some more control and more functionality to customize their blog.
So it is a best option for a blogger to migrate their blog from BlogSpot platform to self hosted WordPress. In this step by step guide I will explain you how you can migrate your blogger blog to self hosted WordPress without losing the SEO.
Before starting you might think why WordPress is better than blogger blog and why you should move your blogger blog to Self hosted WordPress. Don’t’t Worry. Let me explain it to you with below points.
Why WordPress.org is better than Blogger Blog?
1) Ownership: We all know blogspot blog is a service owned by Google. This service is free for everyone to start their blog on Google platform. As it not owned by you so Google can shut down his free service anytime due to which you can lost your blog.
2) Full Control: In blogger blog there are limited or fewer control using which you can’t extend the functionality of your blogger blog. But whereas in WordPress you can easily install plugin from WordPress library with which you can increase the functionality of your blog.
3) Better Appearance: Blogger is very limited in case of appearance of the blog as there are very limited number of available template. But in WordPress there are lots of free and premium themes in WordPress library which give the attractive look to your website / blog.
4) SEO: The URLs in your blogger blog are not SEO friendly due to lack in SEO optimization. But in case of WordPress you can optimize your blog SEO friendly with the help of plugins with which you can easily add the targeting keywords, Title & description of your blog.
5) Support: Google are not providing support for their free service. But if you will host your WordPress blog with us then we will help you in resolving your all issues related to WordPress. Moreover due to large number of WordPress users you will easily get the solution on Internet.
I hope these points will help you to understand the differences in these and to choose the best option to take a right decision.
Now let me explain the requirement for migrating blogger blog to WordPress. Please take a look below to check the requirements before proceeding.
Requirements for migrating blogger blog to WordPress.org:
1) A domain name: A domain name of a website. You can register domain name as per your requirement with which your blog will be accessible on internet. For Example: domainking.ng, google.com, etc.
2) Hosting plan: A hosting plan is a server space from where your website will load on internet. You can buy hosting plan from us as per your requirement. If you are facing any difficulty in choosing the hosting plan then feel free to contact us.
3) Login details of blogger blog: Login details of your blogger blog account must require proceeding with the migration process.
Once done with buying the domain and hosting plan, you will get a mail from us with subject New Hosting Account Information which include the all details of your hosting account. You can now login to cPanel account and install the WordPress using Solftaculous in cPanel.
If you are facing any issue while WordPress installation then you can contact our support team to install it for you. You can also read our complete guide on How to install WordPress.
Are you ready? Let start the migration process.
Steps to move from blogger to WordPress:
Step 1) Login to your Blogspot Account
First of all your need to login to your blogspot account. You can login to your blogger blog in a browser.
Step 2) Login to your self hosted WordPress
Now you need to login to your self hosted WordPress that you installed as instructed above.
You can now login to WordPress Admin panel in that same browser using another tab where you have login to your blogger account as described in above step 1.
Step 3) Install Blogger Importer Extended Plugin
Once done with login to your both blogspot & WordPress account, you need to install Blogger Importer Extended plugin in your WordPress.
For installing a plugin you need to navigate to the Plugins > Add New on the left side of the menu bar.
Now you can search the Blogger Importer Extended in plugin search box and then click on Install button from the search result.
If you are facing any difficulty while installing plugin then you can take help from our guide on How to Install WordPress plugin.
Step 4) Start the Migration process
Now you need to navigate to the list of installed plugin page by clicking on the Plugin from the left side of the menu bar.
From your list of installed plugin you need to click on Start! to start the migration process.
Step 5) After starting the migration process a message display on your screens which will tell you to login to your blogger blog account before proceeding.
As you have already login to your blogger blog account so you simple need to click on Okay, let’s go button to proceed as shown in the below screenshot.
Step 6) The next step is to grant the permission to your WordPress to grant the permission to your blogger blog.
So now you will be redirected to a page where you need to click on Allow button to grant the permission to WordPress to access your blogger blog.
Step 7) Now the list of your blogs will display on the screen from where you need to click on the blog that you want to migrate from the blogger blog to your self-hosted blog.
Step 8) You will be redirected to a page where 2 options are displaying on the screen as shown in the below screenshot. We recommend you to choose these 2 options i.e Convert formatting & Preserve Slugs and then Start Import button.
Step 9) You can now see the importing process which is now started. Now you need to wait for sometime until the migration process is completed.
Step 10) At last, once the migration process is completed, you need to assign your WordPress author to your imported post. You can assign your existing author by selecting the author from drop down menu.
After selecting the author from drop down menu you need to click on Assign authors button as shown in the below screenshot.
Congratulations! You have successfully migrated your blogger blog to self hosted WordPress. You can verify the same by visiting your website in any of your browser.
Keep your Google Ranking and SEO (Search Engine Optimization):
Now at last you need to setup the redirection of your google traffic to you new WordPress blog.
This is also an important part of the migration as visitors should land on the same page on your new WordPress blog. By doing this google will also index you new page of your new WordPress website.
So now lets start settings the redirection. You can easily set the redirection by following the below mentioned steps.
Steps to setup Redirection:
Step 1) First of all you need to login to your WordPress Admin Panel.
Step 2) Now you need to navigate to the Plugins > Add New from the left side of the menu bar.
Step 3) You can now enter the “Blogger To WordPress” plugin By rtCampin in plugin search box. It will display the below result as shown in the below screenshot.
Step 4) Click on Install button and then activate this plugin to make it working for the redirection.
Step 5) Once done with activating the plugin you need to navigate to Blogger to WordPress Redirection from the left side of the menu.
Step 6) Now you will be redirection to the Configuration page where you need to click on Start Configuration button as shown in below screenshot.
Step 7) It will show up the blog that you have just migrated. You need to click on get Code button to generate the redirection code as shown in the below screenshot.
Note: You can copy the code and save it somewhere in your PC/Laptop.
Step 8) Login to your blogger account and navigate to Template from left side of menu bar.
Step 9) Now you need to click on Edit HTML button to paste the redirection code. You can now replace the code with your copied code and then Save the template to complete the redirection process.
That’s all which are required to redirect the traffic from your blogger blog and search engine result to your new WordPress blog.
We hope you like this article with which you are able to switch to WordPress from blogspot platform.
If you are beginner and don’t know how to create a post in WordPress then you can take help from our guide.
You can also show this guide to others to help them to shift to WordPress from blogger due to vast functionality to customize the WordPress website.
Moroever if you have bought hosting plan from us then you don’t need to do anything. You can simple contact our Live Chat Support Team. They will do the whole migration for you.
Once again thanks for reading this article and don’t forget to share it on your facebook profile to help others.