Changing your username in WordPress is very useful in case you want to change your existing WordPress username to a more secure new username. For security reasons we recommend you to use a username other “admin” as it is very common and can be easily hacked. So you must set a strong username that is secure. And in case you had set a weak username, you can change it from your database via phpmyadmin in your cPanel.
In this tutorial we will show you how you can change you WordPress Username very easily from your database via phpmyadmin.
To change your WordPress Username from your cPanel you need to do the following:
1) Locate your Database in cPanel
2) Change your Username in your database via phpmyadmin
To change your admin username in WordPress from your database, you first need to locate the database. It is very important to find the database first other wise you will be modifying the username of the wrong WordPress. Also it is must to check the database name first when you have one or more databases in your cPanel
To locate your WordPress database from your cPanel, you need to do the following:
1) Login to your cpanel.
2) Now scroll down to “Files” section in your cPanel & click on “File Manager”.
3) This will open a pop-up. You need to open public_html folder.
4) In your public_html folder you will see your installed WordPress files.
5) Now you need to locate the wp-config.php file in your folder in which you have installed wordpresss. The wp-config file will show your WordPress database name for which you want to change the username.
Once you have located your database name, save it and now you can move to changing your WordPress Username from your database in phpmyadmin.
Now that you know the database name in which you want to make the changes. Now you need to change your WordPress username from the database via phpmyadmin.
For changing your WordPress username via phpmyadmin you need to follow the below steps:
1) Login to your cPanel. And then cpanel scroll down to databases section in your cPanel. Click and open “phpmyadmin” for managing your database.
2) A new window will open with the phpmyadmin interface. On the left side of the phpmyadmin panel you will see a list of all your databases in your cpanel. You need to click on the Wordprsss database name for which you want to change the username.
3) After selecting the WordPress database, you will see a full list of your WordPress mysql database tables. You need to be very careful not to modify the wrong table as this will cause problems with your WordPress.
4) Now locate and click on the “wp_users” table from your database in phpmyadmin as shown in the screenshot.
5) You will now see different fields such as user id ,username, password, email etc. See the below screenshot. Click on edit link in front of the user for which you want to change the username.
6) Then go to the column “user_login” & in value you can enter your new WordPress username.
7) After entering the new username, scroll down & click on “Go” button to save the changes.
Now your WordPress Admin username has been changed. Open your wordpress login page, and check by entering your username and password to login to your WordPress.