Quick steps to creating an addon domain in cPanel
Add-On domain is a fully independent domain with its own website, email addresses, forwarders etc. on the server but is hosted on the same hosting account as the Primary Domain Name. It is different from you hosting plan’s main domain. In a hosting plan with cPanel that allows you to host more than 1 domain name, you will have 1 primary/main domain and the other domains will be added as add-on domains.
For Example: A Hosting plan in which you can host 4 domains, it means that you can host 1 primary(main) domain + 3 add-on domains.
Steps to Add an Addon Domain in cPanel
Adding an Addon domain in cPanel basically involves 3 major steps.
To add an add-on domain in your cPanel hosting account you need to follow the following steps:
Step2: Wait for DNS propagation
Step3: Add Domain as Addon in cPanel
In the tutorial that follows, I will cover all these steps in detail. Lets get started!
Step 1) Update your Domain’s Nameservers:
1) First of all, you need to check the name-servers of your hosting account. If you have bought hosting plan from us then then you can find the nameservers of your hosting account in the Hosting welcome email with the subject “New Hosting Account Information”.The email was sent to you when your new hosting account was activated.
Note: If you have bought hosting plan from another provider then you can contact your hosting provider for nameservers of your hosting account.
2) After getting the name-servers, you need to Change the nameservers of your domain that you want to add as addon domain in your cpanel. You need to point your domain to the name servers of your hosting account in which you want to add an add-on domain.
If your domain is registered with us then you can read our below guide with which you can easily update the name-servers.
In case your domain is registered with some another domain’s provider then you can contact them to update the name-servers for you.
Step 2) Wait for DNS Propagation (2 hours to 12 hours)
Now you have updated the nameservers of your domain, you need to wait for a few hours for these settings to work properly. This is because the DNS settings take some time to update across all ISPs.
DNS or domain propagation is term used for the process in which user changes nameservers or IP of his/her domain and time it takes for these settings to come into effect.
After changing the nameservers, you need to wait for few hours for the DNS settings to propagate so that you can proceed with the adding of your domain in cPanel. Once complete then you can proceed with the next step.
If you want then you can also check the DNS propagation as shown in the below screenshot.
Step 3) Add Addon Domain in cPanel
Now we are onto the Final step for Adding your Addon domain in cPanel. This is a very simple & step by step procedure that requires you to have a cPanel ready. I have explained below all these steps easily to you:
1) Login to your cPanel account.
2) In your cPanel, scroll down to Domains section and click on the “Addon Domains” icon.
3) Enter the following details one by one:
a) New Domain Name: Enter the domain name that you want to add as an addon domain in your cPanel.
b) Subdomain or FTP Username: Leave this box as it is i.e. empty. cPanel will automatically fill this box & create the username for your addon domain.
c) Document Root: home dir/: Don’t input anything in this box. Cpanel will automatically fill this text box & create a directory for your addon domain on the server.
4) If you want to create an FTP account for your addon domain then check the checkbox “Create an FTP account associated with this addon domain” and fill in the following:
a) FTP Username: Click in the box and the system will automatically fill it or if you want to use a custom name then fill there.
b) Password: Type a strong password that would be hard to guess. Or you can also use the “Password Generator” tool for generating a strong password.
c) Password (Again): Retype your password again. If you are using a system-generated password then cPanel will automatically fill this text box for you.
5) Now click on “Add Domain” button.
All’s Done! Now you have successfully added your new domain as addon in your cPanel. You can start using your Addon domain by uploading website on it.
You would be managing all the functions of the Addon domain from the same cPanel.